cosmogirl7481

Smart Girls Love Smut

I'm a lover of all words. I'm just partial to the dirty ones.

Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh

I wasn’t sure what I would think about this book, especially given that I didn’t really know a lot about the two main characters.  However, I was intrigued by Judd and his steely personality, and the fact that Brenna had been so damaged by Enrique in book one.

Judd had all the makings of a hero that I could potentially love.  He was brooding and intense, and obviously dangerous and powerful.  What I ultimately ended up loving about him was how even though he came across as coldly indifferent, he felt something for Brenna.

Brenna is a wolf from the Snow Dancer pack.  And we learn early on that she’s been struggling with her recovery from the brutal kidnapping and torture she experienced with Enrique, a Tk Psy.  Prior to that, she was a full of life and love, but now, she’s having vivid, disturbing dreams, and even worse…we find out that she can no longer shift into her wolf form.  And she only seems to find comfort, safety and normalcy with Judd.

We also learn that Judd has been keeping something from the wolfs, and Brenna in particular.  He is also a Tk Psy (and his power is far greater than that of the man who abducted her), and he knows that once Brenna finds out, she’ll be terrified of him.  And beyond that, we learn that Judd – even more than most Psy – was trained to be a cold blooded killer, an elite soldier.

I’ll be honest, this book was a little harder for me to get into.  Not because I didn’t like the story or the characters, but because there wasn’t as much tenderness between our hero and heroine.  One of the things I loved about Lucas and Vaughn was how physical and affectionate they were with Sascha and Faith.  And I’ll be the first to admit that I love a dominant, possessive alpha male.

Don’t get me wrong – Judd was all those things.  But he didn’t know how to express them outwardly because, as a Psy, emotion and touch was challenging for him.  And those were exactly the things Brenna needed.  So, there was a lot of push and pull and roadblocks along the way.  It was often times frustrating for me.

However, there were a couple of beautiful, emotional momenst for these characters.  One in particular came when Brenna had to face her fear and prejudice of the Tk power when she was confronted by Judd’s niece, who also shares that power.  I actually teared up during that scene.

There was a lot of UST in this book.  And while I love that, I also love a good payoff.  And in my opinion, there wasn’t enough sex in this book.  (I realize this makes me sound like a whore, and tbh, I don’t care.) Maybe I wouldn’t have missed it so much if there had been more physical affection between Judd and Brenna, but unfortunately, there wasn’t.

I did love the end, though, and the way everything worked out for Judd and Brenna.  And beyond that, I became even more intrigued by Hawke, the alpha of the Snow Dancer pack.  And if what I think is going to happen with his character actually happens…it will definitely make for an intriguing book.

Overall 3.5 stars.